If you are starting to think about which career path you will take or are looking into switching the one you are on, there are many options out there. From a career in business to serving in the military or working in IT, you will have lots to consider. One of the most popular and useful around still is working in the health sector. Whether a nurse, doctor or radiologist, there are many niches within health care in which you can carve a successful career.
According to statistics from the US Bureau of Labor, around 16 million people in the US are employed within the health industry. This shows that it is a sector in which you will always be able to find employment and that offers great job security. The pay is pretty good for most health care roles, with an average salary of over $200,000 being reported. When you factor in the satisfaction that this type of career gives from being able to help people, it is certainly one to think about carefully.
Just how do you go about getting into a career in health?
Five ways to make health your work
When you are on the outside looking in, it may seem tricky to find out how to get a foot in the health care industry door. If you need some guidance, then the below shows some great ways to make a start:
- Check out physical therapy assistant courses – putting the effort in to earn an AAS is a great idea. A physical therapy assistant course is one such course to think about, but there are many others, depending on which field in health care you want to pursue. An AAS is an Associate of Applied Science degree and it prepares you to enter employment in the specified field upon graduation. This makes it a great way to learn the skills you need to enter health care and be perfectly prepared to start work upon completing the degree.
- Build up your experience – another route to consider is getting practical working experience within health. Although it may not be doing the role you want to end up in and could be quite low level, this sort of experience looks great on your CV. Employers and colleges will both be impressed if they can see that you have used your initiative to demonstrate how serious you are about working in health. You may even find yourself offered a job by the people you intern or do voluntary work for!
- Network – networking has always been a great way to get ahead in your career and it is still worthwhile in 2019. Online channels such as LinkedIn make this easier than ever as you can join professional groups and meet powerful new connections, all without leaving the house. It is still worth joining some health-related groups in the real world though. The personal touch can sometimes make all the difference in bagging opportunities or hearing about upcoming openings.
- Search online for jobs – once you have all you need to begin working in health, finding a job becomes the logical next step. The best way to do this now, along with networking, is to use online job sites to search for vacancies. There will even be specialist sites dedicated to the health care sector online to keep an eye on. Looking for health care jobs online in this way is much quicker and simpler – you get access to hundreds of vacancies to look at in your area, and applying is as easy as emailing off your resume.
- Find a mentor to learn from – networking is great, but it can also be worthwhile finding one specific person to mentor you as you enter the health industry. They will be able to provide one-to-one guidance and be on hand to answer any questions as they arise. Naturally, you want to find a successful health professional to do this as they will have the knowledge to guide you on how best to enter the sector.
Working in health is a great career choice
While it may seem hard at times to get into a health care career, the above shows some effective ways to go about it. There is no doubt that this is a fabulous career as it gives you the chance to help people across a wide range of roles, and it usually pays well. It is also a very secure career as people will always need health care professionals to look after them when ill. By following the above tips, you will soon find your way into this rewarding and essential industry.
To read more on topics like this, check out the lifestyle category.